HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
School Motto: Nisi Dominus Frustra. The motto is adapted from the 127th Psalm - 'Unless the Lord keep the City the Watchman waketh in vain'.
The Orphan Working School was founded in 1758 by fourteen men following a meeting at the George Tavern in London led by Edward Pickard, a Presbyterian Minister. The school opened with 20 boys in Hoxton, London in 1759. 14 girls were admitted in 1761 before the School moved to larger, purpose built premises in City Road in 1774. There was a move to Haverstock Hill in North London in 1841.
In 1865 the Alexandra Orphanage opens in Hornsey Rise, London to take infants until they are old enough to be accepted into the Orphan Working School. The two institutions subsequently amalgamated in 1876 to become the 'Orphan Working School and Alexandra Orphanage' with 540 children ranging age from infancy to 14 years.
In 1923 the School changed its name to Alexandra Orphanage.
In August 1939, with war imminent, theinfants and juniors moved toWoodham Place, at Horsell Common, near Woking, in Surrey.On 1st September, senior children and staff are evacuated to be billeted with families in the Bedford area.
In Feburary1940senior children and staff move toBishopswood Farm Camp, Kidmore End, Reading, for the duration of the War. The infants and juniors move to a house on the Duxhurst Estate. The Government subsequently requisitionedDuxhurst Estate for military use so the infants and juniors moved toElmcroft, a house at Goring-on-Thames, near Bishopswood Camp.
In 1944 The Alexandra Orphanage is renamed the Royal Alexandra School.
In 1947 the infants and juniors move from Elmcroft to Duxhurst Park.
The other part of the school was known as the Royal Albert Orphan Asylum. It opened in 1864 and was situated in Collingwood Court,Bagshot, near Camberley inSurrey. There were 51 boys and 49 girls when it opened. In 1904 it was decided that only boys would be admitted and the last girls left in 1906.
In 1912 The Royal Albert Orphan Asylum was renamed the Royal Albert Orphanage. The name changed again in 1941 when it became known as the Royal Albert School.
The two schools, the Royal Alexandra Orphanage and the Royal Albert School joined together in Gatton Park, just after the Second World War. Over the years the Royal Alexandra and Albert School evolved from an orphanage to a state boarding school.
The school's foundation still supports some children whose home circumstances make a boarding education desirable.
What is an 'Orphan'
It is often believed that an 'orphan' is a child who has lost both parents, however this has not always been the case.
At the time of 'asylums' and 'orphanages' orphans could have been children of single parents, families in financial arrears or homeless children who were living on the streets. Sometimes children sought out orphanages because the living conditions were better there than with their families.
Before the days of the welfare state, if a child lost a father due to death or desertion, a mother had few options for providing for the child. Many single mothers had no choice but to put their child into an orphanage (so they could work) or face destitution.
JOIN THE GATTON ASSOCIATION
It's easy to join the Gatton Association and receive regular updates on news and events. Membership is free and you can sign up here